Nicolas Abdelkader - Art - Design - Architecture
Hotel bus stop
Insect hotel bus stop
What if waiting for the bus became an ecological, sensory and educational experience?
A broad scientific consensus now recognizes the role of man in the decline of biomass and biodiversity in general and that of insects in particular. The use of pesticides in intensive agriculture, the destruction of natural habitats, excessive urbanization, global warming and various pollutions are at the origin of this hecatomb. Our hegemony allied to our conscience obliges us today to fulfill a role of "guardian" and to allow the "living" to take its place in order to fight against the erosion of our biodiversity.
Inspired by the architecture of insect hotels, the project "Hotel Bus Stop", has the main objective, the reintroduction of living, insects, birds and plants in urban areas: city centers, Eco-neighborhoods, where the bus passes, nature would have its place ...
The main objectives of the device:
• Provide an ecosystem service to the city to promote the presence of pollinating insects, essential for the reproductive cycle of 85% of our fruit trees, vegetables and ornamental flowers. Depending on the orientation and location of the project, "Hotel Bus Stop" would allow the development of auxiliary insects, such as ladybugs, lacewings (feeding on aphids), osmies (wild bee species), pemphedrons (small black wasp), beetles (a kind of beetle of the Coleoptera family), hoverflies (pollinator of the flies family), earwigs (very good aphids aids) ... and many others ... Moreover, the underside of the roof was designed to help nest the various bird species that are usually found in the city.
• Encourage pedagogy and allow adults and children to observe nature in order to better understand, apprehend and respect nature. Reconnect city dwellers to this nature through the establishment of discovery and awareness workshops.
• Enable the integration and reuse of recycled materials such as wood, cardboard and stainless steel for the construction of the structure and various filler elements.
• Put in place a roof and an extensive vertical plant wall to allow: the development of a large variety of plants, the purification of air by the filtration of fine particles, the absorption of rainwater.
• Create new "green jobs" for maintenance of the device and mediation around bus stops.